Saturday, March 24, 2012

Crazy gas prices bring crazy ideas

My brilliant plan of the week:  I'm thinking about buying a scooter to ride to work.  haha! Seriously though, here are the pro's to buying a scooter:
#1- I have the money in savings to purchase it and not pay interest.
#2- It gets 70mpg and can go over 60mph!
#3- In theory, if I ride the scooter to work 50% of the time (6 out of 12 months), my car should last twice as long.
#4- Riding the scooter cuts down on wear and tear on my car and keeps my mileage down.

Cons to purchasing a scooter:
#1- I drain most of my savings to purchase it.
#2- I'd have to get a motorcycle license

I contacted my insurance agency to get a quote for insurance for the scooter I have in mind.  After all, if insurance is going to be high, it won't benefit me to ride the scooter since I wouldn't be saving any money.  The quote came back at $5.50 per month for insurance!  Even with a $100 registration fee, I would still be money ahead.  At 70mpg, I drive approximately 110-120 miles per week without trips around town for errands JUST to get to work and back.  In my car that gets about 24mpg, I would cut my gas usage by around 2/3!

Definitely a lot to think about.

2 comments:

  1. haha...I just had a giggle imagining you riding to work on a scooter. However, I'm sure I wouldn't be giggling once I knew how much $$ you were saving on Gas. Justin has to drive to Fonda everyday this summer for baseball. He drives a Ford F150 that gets AWFUL gas mileage. Can he borrow your scooter? lol. I should have him get one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!!! I decided not to get it unfortunately. :( As much as I would laugh at myself riding it to work, we decided we are going to attempt to put siding on the house and replace a few old windows, so the money is going to towards the house instead. :( bummer! I was even going to buy corny goggles too. lol

    ReplyDelete